When Should a Mole Be Checked?
The simple message is - if a mole is changing in any way at all it is better to have it checked over by your doctor than to ignore it. No age group is immune; one tragic fact about melanoma is that it commonly affects young people.
If you are worried about a mole, please use 'consult the specialist' now for my expert opinion.
The basic message is:
1. you know your own skin, so do whatever is necessary to make sure you do not burn red in the sun.
2. seek medical advice early rather than late if you have significant skin changes.
The main danger signs in a brown skin mole are :
1. Increasing size or changing shape especially if the mole is larger than half the size of your little finger nail.
2. Changing color, e.g. if a mole which was previously a uniformly brown colour develops a black or purple patch within it.
3. Persistent irritation or itch within a mole.